The story of the Historic Barns of Nipmoose harks back to the 18th century when the Nipmoose Farm was first established, in a region known at the time as the Wanepimoseck Valley. Named by the Mohican Indians, the valley encompassed parts of Buskirk and West Hoosick in northern Rensselaer County, New York.
The Nipmoose Farm derives its name from the Wanepimoseck Valley, as does the Nipmoose Creek which runs along the farm’s border and the Nick Mush Road, which leads to the farm.
According to the earliest records, the Nipmoose Farm was sold by Ebenezer Darling to Abram Viele in 1799. Soon thereafter the farm was purchased by Barnabus Clapp who held title to it for over 40 years. More